The purpose of the Green and Gold Student Leadership and Professional Development Grant (Green and Gold Grant) is to help U of A students become leaders in their profession following graduation.
This grant provides funding to participate in high impact professional development activities that will help students:
- Expand and develop leadership and employability skills.
- Explore future career opportunities.
- Learn about professional practices in different cultures and contexts.
- Establish networks vital to professional practice and advancement.
- Reflect critically on their career interests and aspirations.
What do we mean by "employability skills"?
Employability skills are the skills directly related to obtaining and maintaining a job.
These skills include:
- Generic skills: Skills that are transferable to different situations, such as:
- Using technology
- Written and verbal communication
- Team work
- Problem solving
- Self-management skills:
- Time management
- Goal setting
- Discipline specific skills: Skills specific to certain occupations or fields
- Career management skills: Skills required to navigate the world of work
Bridgestock, R. (2009). The graduate attributes we've overlooked: Enhancing graduate employability through career management skills. Higher Education Research & Development, 28(1), 31-44.